Skip to main content

Part 5: Moment of truth- First sections of skin come off

After several weeks of life intruding (including needing to build a full-scale Wright Flyer marching band prop the same weekend), I was finally able to shake out enough time to begin pulling the skin off of the Cardinal. I knew there was going to be rot, and I wasn't disappointed (hmm, that didn't come out quite right). The damage is far more extensive than the water staining visible in the interior would indicate, enough so that I ended up supporting the front wall with a bungee cord to hold things in place until I get a chance to deal with the electrical and propane lines.





The curb side is in rougher shape than the street side. I'll need to dig deeper before deciding whether I can get by with a patch job on the floor (broken on the street side, some rot on the curb side), or if I'll need to pull all of the cabinets for full replacement.




Definitely a good reminder that any visible water damage at all likely means major rot underneath.

A good friend and neighbor is going to take the Apache. With the shared storage space it's been impossible for me to work on it without seeing the Cardinal in the background, which is definitely good for my mental health. Now that the view of the Cardinal is more than a bit more gruesome (and space is going to get tight as I start fabbing panels) I'm anxious for it to go to its new home.

Comments